A variant, as we define it here on hobbyDB, is an item that is principally the same as another, but with a distinct edition or attribute that sets it apart from the other. A few examples of variants would be...
- A different edition of the same book.
- A model car from the same cast in a different color.
- A Funko Pop! with a special edition sticker.
Here are a few rules of thumb to guide you while considering variants -
- Variants are basically the same item but with distinct differences. If you'd name it the same thing, like "Funko Pop! Watto" the exclusive sticker is the difference that constitutes the variant.
- Variants can have different reference numbers or UPCs.
- Some items can have hundreds of variants. Take for example the infamous How Wheels Dairy Delivery.